Tesla Cybertruck Forum - Price, Specs, Release Date... banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently joined and in my introductory post I mentioned my project conversion of a Saturn Sky using a Tesla Model S motor. It's a slow going project, but I will continually update this thread as new developments come up.

I removed the drivetrain from the Sky a year and half ago. At the time the car was stored at a friends house and being out of sight it was out of mind when projects come up. I've recently moved to Tampa, FL and have the car in my garage. So, the Sky is starting to receive the attention it has needed. Below will be links to my instagram, youtube and facebook pages. Please like and subscribe as it will greatly help in completing this project. I will say the introductory post comments made me go ahead and pull the trigger on a major purchase for the conversion. I'll be doing a youtube video about that when that purchase arrives. I look forward to sharing the progress with you all. Thank you.

Boxmonkeyracing at YouTube
Instagram
Facebook

Newest Sky video direct link

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome.

Big fan of the project so far and can't wait to see how it progresses.

How much have you invested into the project so far?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome.

Big fan of the project so far and can't wait to see how it progresses.

How much have you invested into the project so far?
Hardtop and fenders ran $3250.
Mystery part just picked up for $2100 on eBay.

Will be utilizing EVWest and their model S starter kit once I move some money around.

I originally was going with a Remy HVH250-115S. Picked that up for less than $700 shipped. However upon further research and power requirements it didn't make sense to use.

So current total not including the car is $5350. Probably another $18k-22k before rollcage and safety stuff are added.

Please subscribe to the YouTube channel. That will help complete the project faster.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What made you decide that the Sky was going to be the car that you wanted to do an EV conversion for?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What made you decide that the Sky was going to be the car that you wanted to do an EV conversion for?
I've always like the Sky. Poor man's Vette. However when I bought mine back at the end of 2016 I modified the lnf. Did the standard bolt-ons and turbo upgrade. Spent a good chunk of money and ended up with 40 hp more and 70 lb ft of tq more than stock flywheel numbers.

So, I started looking into V-8 swapping it. Dime a dozen. So information is all out there. In the meantime I was looking for a daily and the 17 Chevy Bolt was new and looked promising. I was instantly hooked on electric due to the instant torque. So bright idea let's do a conversion on the Sky. And the process has been slow because I need to learn myself. But I'm starting to see progress now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've always like the Sky. Poor man's Vette. However when I bought mine back at the end of 2016 I modified the lnf. Did the standard bolt-ons and turbo upgrade. Spent a good chunk of money and ended up with 40 hp more and 70 lb ft of tq more than stock flywheel numbers.

So, I started looking into V-8 swapping it. Dime a dozen. So information is all out there. In the meantime I was looking for a daily and the 17 Chevy Bolt was new and looked promising. I was instantly hooked on electric due to the instant torque. So bright idea let's do a conversion on the Sky. And the process has been slow because I need to learn myself. But I'm starting to see progress now.
That's quite the journey this car has been on! I agree with you the Sky is an underappreciated car. Too bad it came out so late in Saturn's run.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very exciting stuff @Boxmonkeyracing! What kinds of stuff did you get?

So the first box is a front motor out of a Model S. The pallets with the bag. . .it's half a battery pack from a 2017 Chevrolet Volt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With everything going on and keeping social distancing I got a little board.

So it appears I need to cut the old engine cradle out and weld a new on it to make it fit the way I want. I already have an idea for shocks, but the A-arms will probably be upgraded as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh ok, I didn't realize you had to be an owner to buy a motor straight from Tesla.
Yeah Rich rebuilds talked about it when he was trying to rebuild a salvaged model X. That's how I learned about that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts