Tesla Cybertruck Forum banner

Where should Elon build the Tesla Gigafactory?

• North Dakota

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South Dakota

• Nebraska

• Minnesota

• Iowa

• Missouri

• Wisconsin

• Kansas

• Illinois

• Michigan

• Indiana

• Ohio

• Texas

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Louisiana

• Arkansas

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wherever the Cybertruck is built, the location in that state will help build loyalty among potential pickup buyers in that state. This is so important today when so many "American" cars are built elsewhere.

Texas is the largest of those states, and I believe the largest market for pickup trucks in the world. I imagine many Texans would be proud to support a full Texan made-in-the-USA pickup. Could help Tesla tremendously if truck buyers in Texas support the truck.

I imagine some in the midwest are not particularly fond of Tesla's Silicon Valley image, and a factory in their backyard, supporting jobs and their economy, would go a long way to changing attitudes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wherever the Cybertruck is built, the location in that state will help build loyalty among potential pickup buyers in that state. This is so important today when so many "American" cars are built elsewhere.

Texas is the largest of those states, and I believe the largest market for pickup trucks in the world. I imagine many Texans would be proud to support a full Texan made-in-the-USA pickup. Could help Tesla tremendously if truck buyers in Texas support the truck.

I imagine some in the midwest are not particularly fond of Tesla's Silicon Valley image, and a factory in their backyard, supporting jobs and their economy, would go a long way to changing attitudes.
I agree.

Texas is solid ground for this.

Not only that but Tesla should easily gain the support of Texan's, even if its just for the jobs. The effect it will have on the Cybertrucks image means the world to launching an all-new pickup.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd be surprised if they didn't choose Texas. It would be the biggest PR boost if they built the Cybertruck in Texas.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far we have 6 votes and 100% of them are in favour of Texas.

What would be your secondary choice? I'd say Michigan or Louisiana.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So far we have 6 votes and 100% of them are in favour of Texas.

What would be your secondary choice? I'd say Michigan or Louisiana.
Definitely Michigan because of the proximity to so many people and businesses who are knowledgeable about production and supply chains. Ohio would follow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like Missouri is putting together a large offer to Tesla to build the Gigafactory there.

According to Electrek, the city of Joplin, Missouri, has offered land and an incentive package to Tesla in the race to secure the new factory.

Toby Teeter, president of the Joplin Chamber of Commerce, has contacted Tesla with an offer already, and he told Musk on Twitter:

Joplin Chamber President here. I’m authorized to give you 100 acres in biz park at crossroads of I-44 and I-49 at the center of the USA, the historic home of battery tech, with four of the largest trucking companies in the world near here. Plus $50+ million in incentives.

·
Registered
79 Posts
According to Tech Crunch, Nashville is making a strong push to get the Gigafactory. It makes sense since Tennessee is already home to the VW plant that's going to make their EVs.

Musk didn’t provide further information in the tweets. However, a source with knowledge of the talks said Nashville is on a short list of contenders.

Tennessee is already shaping up to be a hub of electric vehicle production. Volkswagen is spending $800 million to expand its U.S. factory in Chattanooga, Tenn. and turn it into the company’s North American base for manufacturing electric vehicles. Electric vehicle production at the Tennessee site will begin in 2022, VW said at the time. Meanwhile, Nissan has been producing the Nissan Leaf in Smyrna since 2013.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts